Need Medicare Assistance? Call NOW (855) 494-0097

Medicare and Dermatologists

Does Medicare Cover Dermatologists?

Everyone is aware that dermatology is something that deals with the skin. However, were you aware that it also deals with hair, membranes, nails, and the health issues surrounding them? The chances are that you will need to go to a dermatologist at least once in your lifetime, but does your Medicare cover such a visit?

Well, it could be possible that your dermatologist visit, and treatment could be covered, but it all depends on what type of service you want and need.

dermatology examination

What Can a Dermatologist Do for You?

Dermatologists are specialized in anything skin related. They can help diagnose skin conditions such as melanomas, cancer, and many others. But there are many other things that a dermatologist can perform in his/her office, such as:

  • Tattoo removal with lasers
  • Hair laser removal
  • Botox injections
  • Hair restoration in case you’re dealing with thinning hair or balding
  • Reducing cellulite
  • Correcting flaws of the skin like acne scars, scarring, wrinkles and more
  • Fillers and injectables

Does Medicare Cover Dermatology?

Medicare can indeed cover dermatology, but it depends on the Medicare plan that you have, as well as what you’re exactly going to need from the dermatologist.

Part B Medicare, for example, covers dermatology as long as it’s something necessary, such as an evaluation, diagnosis or treatment. But if you want something that is not necessary or has no bad influence on your health, you are not going to get any coverage.

Another plan that may include coverage for dermatologists is Medicare Advantage, as it contains some of the benefits of Part A and Part B Medicare plans. Apart from that, it may also cover dental, wellness and vision programs, prescription drugs and other such things.

What Exactly Does Medicare Cover?

Your dermatologist treatment and care can be covered only if the services you need meet the requirements of the plan. That being said, let’s take a look at Medicare Part B. You may get coverage for a visit, lab tests, and medical procedures, but it also covers a study of the diagnostic.

You also have an advantage in case you have a Medicare-approved provider as dermatologist – because getting treatment through them will ensure you get coverage. After the provider will set a diagnosis and give you the treatment for a medical issue, you will get 80% coverage for said treatment. The rest of 20% will be left for you to pay.

You should also know that you can’t get coverage for things such as BOTOX injections, or any other cosmetic treatment that is not necessary. The only exception for cosmetic dermatology interventions – such as removing skin tags or removing a scar – is if they are somehow affecting your health or the proper functioning of your body. Otherwise, you will have to deal with the costs yourself.

Conclusion

If you have the right Medicare plan, your dermatology treatment may be covered. Make sure your requested service is something necessary, such as treatment for skin conditions or anything of the sort, and not simply a desire for cosmetic treatment. Otherwise, coverage will not be possible.


Find Out NOW - Which Medicare Plan Should You Pick?

Your plan may be increasing in price or may not be available. Select your state below to continue!

Get a Quick Medicare Quote!

view chart to compare medicare plans
X