Call Now for Medicare Coverage (855) 494-0097

Medicare and MRI

MRI is short for magnetic resonance imaging, and it refers to a test that takes pictures inside your body through the use of radio waves, magnets and a computer. These tests are used to detect illness, or to see how treatment has helped you recover.

MRIs are so good because they can take more detailed pictures of multiple parts of your body. Besides, they are not as unhealthy as X-rays or computed tomography. However, do you have to pay for them, or are they covered by your Medicare Plan?

MRI scan

How Much Does MRI Usually Cost?

You should expect an MRI to be more expensive compared to computed tomography and X-rays since it’s not that damaging. An MRI’s cost can differ from a person to another, based on their condition. Still, the price could be between $500 and $3,000. But you may be in luck if you’re the happy owner of a Medicare Plan.

Furthermore, you should know what could influence the cost of your MRI as well. Some of the factors could be the place you choose to take your MRI, the type of MRI you get, as well as additional services you will get during your MRI visit.

Does Medicare Cover MRI?

If you need an MRI, then your Medicare plan might cover some of the costs, so you won’t have to break the bank to afford this service. But it also depends on the Medicare plan you have. Generally, a Medicare Part B can cover MRIs under some conditions, and because of this, consulting your provider is necessary. MRI scans can be covered under this plan as long as they’re deemed necessary for certain medical problems.

Concurrently, Medicare Part C may also cover MRI scans just like Part A and Part B, depending on some conditions. But besides that, there might be some added advantages, and some things may be covered that are not getting coverage under other plans. They can include some home health care services, as well as prescription drugs.

In general, Part B may cover 80% of the MRI, whereas the rest of 20% will be paid by you after you meet the Part B deductible.

Under What Conditions Does Medicare Cover MRIs?

MRIs are not always covered, which is why it’s important to understand what situations would help you get that desired coverage. If your doctor deems an MRI necessary to detect an existing illness or see how your body performs under a specific treatment, it can be covered by Medicare. It means the MRI is necessary – that’s why coverage is possible.

You should also make sure that the health care provider applying the procedure – as well as the doctor that prescribes the MRI – accepts Medicare. This ensures you will get full coverage for the service.

Understanding how Medicare works for an MRI helps you prepare for what’s to come in case you need to perform this type of test. Before anything else, talk to your provider and see what benefits your plan includes.


Attention Seniors! Did you receive your Annual Notice of Change?

Your plan may be increasing in price or may not be available. Fill out the form below to have one of our agents contact you with the lowest Medicare prices in your area. It's worth checking every year!

Get a Quick Medicare Quote!

view chart to compare medicare plans
X