Need Medicare Assistance? Call NOW (855) 494-0097

Medicare and Viagra or Generics

Viagra is a popular drug recommended for the management of erectile dysfunctions in men. It is an erection-enhancing drug containing Sildenafil Citrate that can help men achieve and sustain an erection by improving the blood flow into the penis.

It belongs to a group of medications called PDE-5 or phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors.

It is a highly effective drug that works by relaxing the muscles in the walls of the blood vessels of the penis.

This leads to a greater amount of blood entering into the penis resulting in an erection and an improved sexual performance.

However, Viagra is an expensive medication making men wonder whether it is covered by Medicare.

If you are using or planning to use Viagra for the management of sexual difficulties, read on to find whether Medicare covers the costs.

viagra blue pill

Is it covered?

Part A and Part B of Original Medicare do not cover prescription drugs including Viagra.

Tough Medicare Part B may cover a part of the costs of pumps recommended for the management of erectile dysfunctions, the medicines used for treating the same disorder are not covered.

Hence, men diagnosed with erectile dysfunctions may use the pump that is categorized as a Durable Medical Equipment. Medicare part B would cover 80% of the costs while the remaining 20% would have to be borne by you.

However, yet again, Viagra is not covered by Medicare.

Does Medicare cover generics like sildenafil or tadalafil?

The primary ingredient or the generic of Viagra is Sildenafil Citrate. 

It is covered by some Medicare Part D providers. If your doctor prescribes generic Viagra, you can check which Medicare part D plan covers it to reduce costs.

Medicare Advantage plans may also cover Viagra. However, you must find out which Medicare Advantage plans cover the specific brands of Sildenafil Citrate including Viagra.

Are there any potential discounts for Medicare coverage for Viagra?

Most Medicare plans do no cover Viagra and other brands containing Sildenafil citrate. There is still a possibility of receiving discounts on these medications.

You can check with your local pharmacies to find if they offer discounts on prescription drug. Several pharmacies run discount programs on prescription drugs. These programs are also called pharmacy drug card programs.

To be eligible for these discounts, you will have to get a written prescription for your doctor.

You can also check with the pharmacist if ordering Viagra by mail would still allow you to receive the discount and reduce the costs.

Alternatively, you can speak with your doctor about the costs of other erectile dysfunction drugs such as Levitra and Cialis. Though Medicare does not cover these prescription drugs also, they are less expensive.

However, before using any drug for managing erectile dysfunction, it is advisable to seek the advice of your physician to know the risk of possible side effect and their pros and cons. It should be noted that different prescription drugs tend to have a different effectiveness and side effects.


Find Out NOW - Which Medicare Plan Should You Pick?

Your plan may be increasing in price or may not be available. Select your state below to continue!

Get a Quick Medicare Quote!

view chart to compare medicare plans
X